SOA Software Enables Enterprise APIs for Business Partner and Employee Applications
Atmosphere API management product provides unique capabilities supporting enterprise as well as open API and app developer communities
Los Angeles, CA. – June 11, 2012 – SOA Software, a leading provider of SOA governance, cloud and enterprise API management products, announced today that it has added extensive enterprise API capabilities to its SOA Software Atmosphere product family to enable business to employee and business to business applications.
Enterprises are increasingly making business applications available as APIs in order to drive business growth and expose new revenue and partnership opportunities, and ultimately to improve business efficiency. Open APIs allow external developers to build applications that leverage core business capabilities. Enterprise APIs are offered to a more limited group to enable more sensitive B2B or B2E (employee) applications. Both enterprise and open APIs are typically built on a foundation of enterprise SOA services, taking these services and productizing them with documentation, support, access provisioning, quality-of-service (QoS) management and other API-centric capabilities. Enterprise APIs introduce additional requirements to ensure the security and privacy of the API and the capabilities and data they expose.
Atmosphere provides a secure, robust platform that companies can use to share their APIs with the growing app developer community, their partners, and customers. Atmosphere manages, monitors and secures companies APIs. Atmosphere ensures that these APIs deliver the level of service customers and partners require; that corporate and customer information and assets are secure; and that the integrity of the corporate brand is protected. SOA Software’s latest update to Atmosphere introduces comprehensive and flexible enterprise API capabilities, including:
- Private APIs – Atmosphere allows API owners to mark their API as private so it can only be found and viewed by invited users. The API administrators can invite users to view and access the API.
- Groups – Atmosphere enables API administrators to define specific and distinct groups to access their APIs. Within the product are capabilities for providing different groups with contextual discussion forums which allow users to post questions, comments and get support. The forums can be either private in the context of their own group, or publicly in the scope of the entire API. This allows the administrators to use the same API to support different business partners, without exposing one partner to another.
- Teams – Atmosphere defines the concept of an App development or API team. This is a defined and invited team of users who share common responsibilities for administering or accessing an API or App. This enables the kind of collaborative environment that is required for enterprise application development.
- User & role management – Atmosphere allows an individual user to have multiple different roles depending on their context (the API or App they are working with). It allows administrators to share and delegate responsibility for certain actions with other users.
“Our large enterprise customers are using APIs to enable business-to-employee and business-to-partner applications,” said Alistair Farquharson, SOA Software chief technology officer. “The private API, group and team capabilities in Atmosphere help these organizations ensure the security and privacy of their enterprise APIs.”
These new enterprise API capabilities extend Atmosphere’s existing functionality which include:
- API definition, content, policy and lifecycle management that ensures APIs are correctly structured and well documented with integration with internal design and development processes.
- Intermediation to simplify the creation of RESTful APIs with both XML and JSON content from various internal service types with powerful paging and caching to improve app performance.
- Sophisticated security capabilities to help protect APIs from abuse and ensure the privacy of customer data.
- Comprehensive QoS management (SLAs and quotas) to protect internal applications from overload of the API and to provide customers with service-level guarantees.
- Extensive consumer contract monitoring and management of traffic from individual apps.
- Integrated sandbox, testing and debugging capabilities to simplify the delivery of high-quality APIs.
About SOA Software Atmosphere™
SOA Software’s flagship API management product, Atmosphere™, provides a secure, robust platform that companies can use to share their APIs with the growing app developer community, their partners, and customers. Atmosphere manages monitors and secures companies’ APIs. Atmosphere™ ensures that these APIs deliver the level of service customers and partners require; that corporate and customer information and assets are secure; and that the integrity of the corporate brand is protected http://www.soa.com/atmosphere.
About SOA Software
SOA Software is a leading provider of unified SOA governance, cloud and enterprise API management products that enable organizations to plan, build, and run enterprise services and open APIs. The world’s largest companies including Bank of America, Pfizer, and Verizon use SOA Software solutions to transform their business. Gartner placed SOA Software in the Leaders Quadrant for the 2011 “Magic Quadrant for SOA Governance Technologies.” The company is also recognized as a “Leader” by the Forrester Research Waves for Integrated SOA Governance and SOA Life Cycle Management. For more information, please visit http://www.soa.com.
Back to Press Releases